Gelatin is a tasty and refreshing dessert, ideal for any time. You can use it to accompany cakes, sweets or simply eat it alone. For this reason, this dessert works very well in any celebration, be it a birthday, Christmas, New Year or simply for a snack.
What is the secret of its versatility? Perhaps it is its non-invasive taste and, above all, its presentation possibilities! Gelatin is a very creative dessert that you can give different shapes and colors, a potential culinary work of art!
Best of all? Making a beautiful jelly is not difficult at all, although of course it has its tricks. For this reason, if you were wondering how to make rainbow jelly , an option similar to mosaic jelly , We will show you all its tricks. Let’s do it!
- 750 ml of warm water
- 750 ml cold water
- 1 ½ cup of condensed milk
- 1 pinch of vanilla (optional)
- ½ cup grape jelly (powdered)
- ½ cup blueberry jelly (powdered)
- ½ cup strawberry jelly (powdered)
- ½ cup orange gelatin (powdered)
- ½ cup pineapple gelatin (powdered)
- ½ cup lemon gelatin (powdered)
Steps to follow:
Put all the ingredients on the counter. Measure or weigh them and then reserve them.
Grease the mold where you will make the rainbow gelatin with oil (optional). If you grease it, then you can easily unmold it. If you use a mold with a special shape, you must spread the oil very well, in each cavity, you can help with absorbent paper or a silicone brush. After greasing and before adding the gelatin, put the mold in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Boil the water. As soon as bubbles come out, you can remove it from the heat. The water to make rainbow gelatin should be warm-hot, not excessively hot. You can also microwave it in ½ cup servings for each layer of the rainbow.
Choose the order of the colors. You can combine them depending on your taste, or strictly follow the order of the colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, cyan or sky blue, indigo or navy, and purple. If you feel like starting green, use the lemon-flavored gelatin, and so on.4
Put ½ cup of the gelatin chosen in a bowl, and add ½ cup of warm-hot water. Mix the ingredients very well until they are completely integrated. Once integrated, add ½ cup of cold water , and mix again.
Divide the mixture right in half. Pour it into two smaller bowls.
Add condensed milk to one of the bowls. Integrates the condensed milk with the gelatin very well. Use only ¼ cup of condensed milk (that is, a portion of the reserved 1 ½ cup). Additionally, you can add a dash of vanilla to your rainbow gelatin with condensed milk.6
Pour the gelatin without condensed milk into the cold mold using a spoon. Put the spoon near the bottom, and turn it down; you can also use a spatula. Add the gelatin little by little on it until completing the first level. This trick is to avoid splashing the walls of the mold, so the rest of the colors will be uniform.
Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes , just long enough for the semi-gelatin to set. If you go overboard, the gelatin could solidify too much and as a result, the layers won’t stick together.7
Add the gelatin with condensed milk to the mold. Once the refrigeration time is up , add the second level. This time and thereafter, put the spoon very close to the other layer of gelatin but without touching it. The rest of the procedure you already know. In this case, we not only avoid splashing the walls of the mold, but we also protect the previous layer.8
Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. Use the same time for subsequent layers.9
Continue with the next color. Repeat the process from step three. Do it like this until you finish placing all the colors and levels.
Remember to keep the water warm. If the gelatin is too hot it can melt the other layer, and if it is too cold it will not stick to the previous layer.
At the end of the last level, refrigerate for at least 4 hours. It will be even better if you leave the gelatin overnight in the fridge. Thus, it will set completely and acquire more firmness.10
Once the gelatin with milk is ready, remove the mold. Wash your hands and leave them slightly damp . Next, use your fingertips to gently pull the edges away from the pan. Do it all around. When you remove the gelatin, place a plate on top and turn.
Another trick to unmold is to submerge the mold in warm-hot water without letting water run into the gelatin. Then, remove the mold from the water and give it a little shake, moving it sideways. Finally, also place the gelatin on the plate, as we indicated before.
Your rainbow jelly will be ready to enjoy! You can dice it to make rainbow jelly in small cups.
Before we go, we leave you some tips to prepare the rainbow jelly without complications and customizing it according to your preference:
- If you need to replace the condensed milk, you can do it with evaporated milk, half cream, rice milk, coconut milk or coconut cream.
- For this recipe, do not prepare all the jellies at once. Prepare as you layer.
- If you splash a little gelatin on the sides of the pan, wipe it off with kitchen paper or a cloth. Do it very carefully.
- If the mixture gets cold, heat it a little in a double boiler or microwave. If you microwave the mixture, give it 15-20 seconds. This time may be shorter depending on the power of the microwave.
- To make rainbow gelatin, you can also use gelatin mixed with natural juices.
- If you use gelatin, you can enhance the colors using commercial vegetable dyes.
- There are those who, between each color, put white jelly. The white layer can be coconut gelatin, coconut milk with gelatin, or coconut cream with gelatin. Yogurt or half cream mixed with gelatin is also good.
- If you want to give more consistency to commercial gelatin, hydrate 1 tablespoon of gelatin in water at room temperature. Next, melt the gelatin and combine it with the regular gelatin mixture. Do this for each color.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make rainbow jelly , we recommend that you enter our Food category.
- Use a measuring cup, not just any cup, as amounts can vary.
- You can use molds of any type: silicone, metal, glass, etc.
- Silicone molds are easier to unmold.
- If you use very hot water, the gelatin loses its gelling power.
Leave a Reply