Jams are one of the most versatile foods in the kitchen, as they serve to accompany many recipes and to be the protagonist in many desserts. The best thing about jams is that they allow us to keep the flavor of the fruits for longer and use them whenever we want. Despite its advantages, jams usually contain a large amount of sugar and, for this reason, for some people it becomes a prohibited or very restricted food.
If this is your case or you just want to reduce your sugar consumption, don’t worry, like everything that relates to cooking, there are many very effective alternatives to enjoy recipes with sugar. On this occasion, we share with you how to make sugar-free strawberry jam and a few tips to prepare a delicious homemade jam that will have nothing to envy the industrialists. Go for it!
|300 gr of natural strawberries (clean)
2 sheets of neutral gelatin
½ lemon (the freshly squeezed juice)
Sweetener or sweetener to taste
Follow these steps to make strawberry Jam without Suger
To make this recipe for sugar-free strawberry jam, select strawberries just right, not too green or too ripe. Avoid any strawberries that look battered or soggy.
Clean, disinfect, and dry the strawberries. Pour 1 liter of water and 2 tsp of baking soda into a large bowl. Wait 15-20 minutes before rubbing the strawberries with your fingers or a special brush, taking advantage of the antiseptic water that covers them. Rinse with plenty of water, pass them through a strainer, and dry them very carefully.
Then remove and discard the peduncle.
Chop the strawberries. You don’t need to cut them evenly or too small to make homemade sugar-free strawberry jam. Place them in a pot.
Also, add the lemon juice and the sweetener. Stir very well. If you want to make strawberry jam without sugar or sweetener, you can use other natural sweeteners such as coconut sugar, cane or panela sugar, agave, etc. In any case, we recommend using powdered sweeteners.
Commonly, if you use white sugar to make jam, you require half the weight of the fruit. On the other hand, if you use natural sweeteners, mostly less is required, between 10-30% of the total weight of the fruit. In this sense, it is important to remember that each sweetener has its own characteristics, therefore, they can also bring certain changes to the final product and, of course, to the recipe.
Cook over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. The exact time will depend on the consistency you prefer: totally homogeneous or with pieces of fruit. Once the time is up, remove the preparation from the fire.
Hydrate the gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes. Pour enough water into a container, add the leaves, and wait until they soften.
Incorporate the hydrated gelatin into the jam. Do this while the jam is still hot, and stir until it is completely integrated.
Pour the preparation into a sterilized glass jar. Close it tightly and wait for it to cool down before refrigerating.
Store the jam in the coldest place in the refrigerator. It will keep well for 8-14 days.
If we are starting out in the world of canning and want to make sugar-free strawberry jam. It is essential to recognize the organoleptic or sensory characteristics of any jam. In this sense, a good product must have the following characteristics:
- It shows a bright and attractive color. In addition, it reflects the own color of the fruit.
- Its texture shows that it gelled properly. You can perceive its consistency, but without too much stiffness, since it can spread it without difficulty.
- It has a perfect balance between sweetness and acidity, thus maintaining the original flavor of the original fruit.
- It can be kept for a long time. If it is prepared correctly, it is treated for its conservation, and it is kept in a suitable space (a dark and cool place); It can be kept in perfect condition for several months. However, in the case of sugar-free gelatins, to extend their life it is necessary to add a preservative, otherwise, their expiration time is potentially reduced (8-14 days).
- If you want to make this vegan sugar-free strawberry jam, you can substitute the gelatin for other ingredients like agar or chia seeds. Here we tell you how to replace the gelatin:
- To make sugar-free strawberry jam with chia: replace the 2 gelatin sheets with 1/2 tbsp chia seeds. Add after you remove the preparation from the heat, mix well, let it cool for an hour and pack.
- To make sugar-free strawberry jam with agar agar: substitute the 2 sheets of neutral gelatin for ¼ d tsp of agar agar powder. When the preparation is boiling, add the agar agar, stir and wait two minutes for it to thicken.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make strawberry jam without sugar, we recommend that you enter our Food category.
- Some people are of the opinion that stevia can make jam bitter.
- Most recommended fruits to prepare jam: strawberries, blueberries, orange, etc.